As much as I am a planner there are still so many things that must be done final in the days leading up to leaving for a conference. Laundry, shopping for milk, getting rid of the white hair at my temples, etc. There is also all of the actual work related JOB stuff that needs to be done because, for the most part, I will be kinda/sorta off line for a few days. This means staying up late and writing, getting up early and researching, and having an all around snappish behavior towards my family. They will be so happy to see me leave tomorrow morning!
As much as it is a struggle and effort to make going to a conference happen if I set my sites on going you can be certain I am there to absorb and learn at 100%. For this particular conference, BlogHer Food, I am incredibly excited to be able to be a part of a panel of other people who are passionate about incorporating philanthropy into their online spaces. The goal is to help other bloggers and site owners fold in causes that are important to them into their writing. What is especially fantastic is this is a FOOD blogging conference and hunger advocacy is important to me. I can not wait to meet people who are story telling with plates and recipes.
There is also the excitement factor that I have never been to Austin before. I am trying to pretend it will not be oh so very hot. (shhhh.)
Things I Do Not Want To Forget About Other Parts Of My Life
• I have lost thirty pounds. I can not get my head around this just yet. I do not really SEE it. This is the problem of being a tall and usually thick girl. I do know those shirts I could not get into a few months ago now fit and my bras are laughable. I FEEL good. I feel younger. There is more to say. But I had to chronicle the moment. WOO!!
• Have locked in on 4 different school districts and am in serious savings mode. I don’t have to tell you guys that moving is expensive. You get it. So we are in furious savings focus to achieve what we estimate we will need for 1st month’s rent, last month’s rent, security, and actual moving costs.
• I am celebrating my 2nd year at the tech startup I work for. That’s a nice feeling!
• I have worn a dress or skirt several ays in the last few weeks. This is kind of big news for me. Not sure how or why, but I am breaking out of hiding behind clothes. (probably because I am feeling better!)
• Our garden has been AMAZING this year and I am amazed at how stunning the flowers have been.
Things I wrote On Other Sites:
• 25 Celebrities Turning 50 Who Will Blow Your Mind
I had a lot of fun with this one!
• Welcome to the family – a look at ABC Family’s new show The Fosters
I talk about the history of gay and lesbian families on TV
(disclaimer – this post was sponsored)
• Gift Ideas for Single Moms on Father’s Day
(and yes, I DO believe single dads should get gifts on Mother’s day too!)